Re: [exim] Maybe, just maybe its my exim installation?

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Maybe, just maybe its my exim installation?
Louis Kruger <zr6abc@???> (Tue May 10 20:33:32 2011):
(…)

> "SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
> host smtp.isdsl.net [196.26.208.199]: 550 A valid sender header is
> required in message (llsjk@???)"

Seems to be another exim there ☺ And they seem to do sender
verification.

Having a valid sender header is a good idea always. Make sure that the
return path your're using is a valid mail address. But this is not the
point here.

They seem to check the headers of your mail, the From: and the Sender:
header. If both are there, the Sender: takes precedence (I think).

Your exim probably puts it there if your mail client writes a From:
line, and your local Exim does not trust it (because it differs from
what your Exim would like to see there). This is the normal setup for
the mail submission mode, your local exim decuces your (in)"valid mail
address" from your local user id and the local host name (+domain).

The brutalo method would be to make your local Exim trusting you. (the
trusted_users option).

A cleaner way out could be the untrusted_set_sender option. This allows
your MTA to choose a nice From: line and Exim will accept it.

Just another way is rewriting the From: and probably Sender: lines to
nicer values.

--
Heiko :: dresden : linux : SCHLITTERMANN.de
GPG Key 48D0359B : 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B