Re: [exim] Doubt with main configuration macros

Author: Moritz Wilhelmy
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Doubt with main configuration macros
Hello,

Just for the record:

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 03:49:55PM +0000, W B Hacker wrote:
> Before you go any further, PLEASE upgrade to the current Exim release!
> There were serious security issues in pre 4.7X versions.

I assume he is using exim 4.69 on oldstable/lenny (I remember lenny had 4.69
and I know squeeze has 4.72. wheezy currently has 4.75). I assume the debian
guys "fixed" these bugs by patching them out downstream, because the debian way
to do it is not to bump versions until the next stable release.

> Even so..
>
> Any system that uses that generated split-config toolset
> (Debian-only AFAIK) comes complete with extensive docs.

Debian and everything based (i.e. Ubuntu etc.) on it. And the documentation is
located in /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/

> More historical information, and more specific current help, are
> available on the Debian specific mailing list (also pointed to in
> your on-box docs).
>
> MOST, though not all, on THIS list use the standard monolithic Exim
> ~/configure file, which may be less 'automated', but otherwise
> simpler.

I agree. I was glad when I noticed the "original" exim configuration file was
quite simple in contrary to the macro hell on debian.

> AFAIK, that is also an option on Debian.

It is, but you have to supply your own. As far as I know, debian does not ship
the default config in any of these /usr/share/doc/exim4-* directories. So you
will probably need to download it from [1]. For more information please see
update-exim4.conf(8)[2].

Best regards,

Moritz

[1] http://git.exim.org/exim.git/blob/HEAD:/src/src/configure.default