Re: [exim] SMTP Multiple Recipients?

Author: Todd Lyons
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Multiple Recipients?
Hello Claus!

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Claus Assmann <exim@???> wrote:

>> > rcpt to:person1@???
> syntax error.

I knew about this one because it didn't have the <> around it.

>> mail from: <tlyons@???>
> syntax error.
> RFC 5321:
> 3.3.  Mail Transactions
>      MAIL FROM:<reverse-path>
>      RCPT TO:<forward-path>
>   Since it has been a common source of errors, it is worth noting that
>   spaces are not permitted on either side of the colon following FROM
>   in the MAIL command or TO in the RCPT command.  The syntax is exactly
>   as given above.

Thanks for that correction! I thought I was intimately familiar with
5321 and 5322, but I had overlooked that space requirement.

I guess it would be worth mentioning that all versions of
sendmail (sendmail 8.13.8 on stock CentOS 5.x boxen and
sendmail.8.14.4 rpms that I build) accept it with that space. The
above test was to "220 mail.mrball.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8;"
so while the RFC specifies it, sendmail and exim both chomp the spaces
out and accept it. I assume that's the "be strict in what you emit
and liberal in what you accept" mindset in action.

Have a great day!

--
Regards...      Todd
"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but