著者: David Woodhouse
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
題目: Re: [exim] Mailing list trouble
On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 19:37 +0000, W B Hacker wrote:
> It is possible - even probable - that the 'mailing list' that the OP has
> set up DOES operate in such a manner as to (appear to) 'forge' an
> Envelope-From.

Or, in other words, it just uses the original Envelope-From on the
message, and forwards to its final destination(s) without mangling it in
any way.

To use the word 'forge', or 'forgery', for such a long-established
behaviour is a new trend which has never really had any basis in common
sense.

I have plenty of "mailing lists" which are just aliases that expand to
more than one recipient, and operate in exactly this fashion.

Any user on my system can set things up that way, in fact, so that their
mail goes to their local mailbox on one of my machines *and* some
mailbox of theirs elsewhere for backup purposes. Perhaps they might
forward it to their company email address, for easy access from within
their corporate firewall.

> > The company mail server is broken. Fix it, or if you can't fix it
> > then just declare it broken and stop trying to use it.
>
> Yes - he should probably stop trying to use ....it in the manner he is
> using it...
>
> But we don't know that it is 'broken'.... Not enough information.

We do know that it is broken because he told us so explicitly when he
said "my companies[sic] mailserver rejects messages coming from outside
with a sender address from inside".

That configuration is, quite simply, broken.

--
dwmw2