Re: [exim] A cry for help - are there any plusnet admins out…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Ian Eiloart
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Dave Restall - System Administrator,,,, exim-users
Καινούρια Θέματα: [exim] Doing SAV callouts right
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] A cry for help - are there any plusnet admins out there ?

--On 24 March 2011 14:50:22 +0000 "Dave Restall - System Administrator,,,"
<dave@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use exim to receive and process my emails - have done for years.
> I also use sender callouts - have done for years. Occasionally emails
> get rejected because they are sent from non-existent addresses and sender
> callouts don't like that.

I'm with you on this. With the proviso that you should check SPF first.
Callouts are entirely legitimate if you get an SPF pass, but arguably
redundant. They're not required if you get an SPF fail. For softfail and
neutral, I'd avoid doing the callout on the basis that one should be nice
to people that are helping you to evaluate the legitimacy of mail from
sender addresses in their domains.

In my view, refusing bounce messages for an address that's used in the
"RETURN PATH" is contrary to RFC 5321 "The primary purpose of the
Return-path is to designate the address to
which messages indicating non-delivery or other mail system failures
are to be sent. For this to be unambiguous, exactly one return path
SHOULD be present when the message is delivered. "

You can parse this as reading "exactly one return path (an address to
which messages indicating non-delivery or other mail system failures
are to be sent) SHOULD be present when the message is delivered. "

And "SHOULD" means that you should be aware of the consequences of failing
to do so. For rfc5322, ignoring a recommendation means that you risk
failing to deliver email. If plusnet want to deliver their email, then they
should follow all recommendations in RFC5322.

Oh, and you don't need callouts in order to reject their email.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex