Re: [exim] WANTED: example of successful DynDNS setup

Autor: Dominic Benson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] WANTED: example of successful DynDNS setup
On 15/03/11 22:25, Jason Hsu wrote:
> For the life of me, I can't get my Exim mail server working. I KNOW that somebody somewhere has successfully done what I'm trying to do. I just need a step-by-step example of a successful setup.
>
> I have never set up a mail server before.
>
> There are so many variables that have to be set just right that I don't know where to begin, and I have no idea how to troubleshoot.
>
> I'm using Debian Lenny and a dyndns-free.com account.

What dyndns service *exactly* are you using? Further, what *exactly* are
you trying to achieve?
> I have set Shorewall to open port 25.

How is the machine connected to the internet? Is it a VPS/dedicated
server with a direct connection, or is it sitting behind your
home/office router? If the latter, you'll need router-side configuration
to get connections through.
> I know that the packages I need are exim4 and exim4-config.

Good start...
> I know that the command to configure exim4 is "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config". But I don't know what I'm supposed to enter for all of the parameters.

You don't understand *all* or *any*? If the former, which? If the
latter, it is probably worth going back a few steps to be sure that
running a mailserver is really a good solution to the problem you are
trying to solve. It isn't to be undertaken lightly.
> Could one of you PLEASE share with me every step you have to take to get your mail server working? This includes everything you have to do in your DynDNS account, your exim4 configurations,

This is far too dependent on the purpose. Please explain what you're
trying to do!
> moving sent mail from your main computer to the server, moving received mail from your server to your main computer,

In this context, what are your "main computer" and "server" - and which,
if any, is the Lenny box?
Does the question roughly equate to "How do I set up an IMAP server" or
"How do I use a smarthost and fetchmail to proxy a mailbox"?