Re: [exim] maildirsize file and massive concurrency

Author: Sven Hartge
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] maildirsize file and massive concurrency
Heiko Schlittermann <hs@???> wrote:
> W B Hacker <wbh@???> (Thu Feb 17 03:48:30 2011):

>> Questions:
>> - do other POP/IMAP do this any differently? (eg: Dovecot)

> Since POP/IMAP access is magnitudes less frequently, this side of the
> problem does not matter.

Concerning Dovecot:

I just recently learned that dovecot is able to store the quota data in
a SQL database instead of a maildirsize file.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota/Dict

So right now I am looking forward to test this, because this also solves
(at least) my problem of being able to test a mailbox for being over
quota at the MX layer of my mailserver setup, which I have not been able
to do with Courier/maildir. Of course, you need to use dovecot-lda to
deliver the messages to the users mailbox to have the quota table
updated correctly.

But I have not tested such a setup so I cannot tell if this scales or is
horribly slow.

Grüße,
Sven

--