Re: [exim] Router/transport return path, DNS errors

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Todd Lyons
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Router/transport return path, DNS errors
On 2011-02-14 at 11:03 -0800, Todd Lyons wrote:
> If I could get the rewrite rules (essentially sets $sender_address
> from my understanding) to expand the macro shown below, I think I
> would be golden, but in my testing it didn't work. In anybody's
> authoritative opinion, should it work and I just did not test
> properly? Or is that strictly static mappings, and not expandable (or
> I'm accessing variables that aren't yet set)?

Expandable: yes, have done this for a mass-vhosting webserver in the
past.

As currently written, shouldn't work, since rewrites happen on *this*
message and since the message is never delivered, the bounce goes based
on the content of the real message.

If you inject the mail via SMTP, then using an SMTP-time rewrite should
fix it. 'S' flag. For the non-SMTP case, my first reaction is that
fixing the client is the only way, but I might be wrong. For PHP stuff,
it was fairly trivial for us to include a php_admin_value directive to
let the sender be set on a per-vhost basis:
php_admin_value mail.force_extra_parameters -fWHATEVER

-Phil