Re: [exim-dev] made maildir_use_size_file expandable. Anybod…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] made maildir_use_size_file expandable. Anybody to review it?
Phil Pennock <exim-dev@???> (Sat Feb 12 19:58:18 2011):
> On 2011-02-12 at 14:46 +0100, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> > Attached you'll find the patch I did. Could please somebody revise it
> > and give me some feedback? If it's not only me, who thinks, that it is
> > useful, it would be nice to see it in one of the next releases.
>
> You add an undocumented option to enable expansion, while documenting
> that the base option is always expanded.

I'm not sure if I got what you want to tell me.

You're talking about the "expand_maildir_use_size_file"?

The "expand_maildir_use_size_file" option is called
"*expand_maildir_use_size_file", and this name is completly impossible
in the config file.

I copied the idea from the "unseen" and "more" options. (I think
somewhen in history they turned from just beeing boolean to expanded
boolean and where not allowed to break older configs.)

> I think that you're better off just doing what your documentation patch
> says: always expand the option. You've presented a use-case and turning
> a Transport option from non-expanded to expanded should never break
> existing configs.

The problem is, that this option is not just "not expanded" until now, it is
a boolean option in existing configs.

The following cases I tested:

    # old configs
    maildir_use_size_file
    no_maildir_use_size_file
    maildir_use_size_file = yes

    # now additional expansion is possible
    maildir_use_size_file = ${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch*@{XXX}}

I'd say, existing configs are not broken this way.

> I'm happy to see this fix in 4.75, once you make the simpler change. :)

I'd say I did the simplest change possible. Or I just didn't got what
you wanted to tell me. (… it's not my native language ☺)

Greetings from Dresden,
--
Heiko :: dresden : linux : SCHLITTERMANN.de
GPG Key 48D0359B : 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B