Re: [exim] Ocassional spam forwarding

Author: Jeff Lasman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Ocassional spam forwarding
On Thursday, February 03, 2011 07:54:46 am Mikhail Lischuk wrote:

> And, once again, I wonder - how do
> hosting companies make such service as mail forward for domain?

We're a webhosting company. We do a lot of blocking using various RBL lists
(nothing you don't already know about). While we use Spam Assassin, I'm not
sure we use it on email that's being forwarded off the server. I'd have to
check. We don't run email which already has SpamAssassin headers through our
SpamAssassin, though we're considering doing that.

We publish SPF, MX and rDNS, but we don't implement DKIM.

What we do is subscribe to the feedback loops from the big providers, and when
we see a problem not being addressed by the blocklists we use we find the
original sender IP#s and we put them into our local blocklists.

That works for us "most of the time".

I'd appreciate it if you can share your exim.conf configuration for sending
incoming mail through SpamAssassin before forwarding it, so I can compare it
with ours, as I don't think we do that.

Thanks.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
Post Office Box 52200, Riverside, CA 92517