Re: [exim] exim-4.74 in Suse 11.3

Author: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
To: exim-users
CC: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [exim] exim-4.74 in Suse 11.3
On Wednesday 26 of January 2011, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2011-01-26 at 20:46 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > Previously [1] things worked. Now [2] they fail.
> >
> > Had to stop using "make LOOKUP_MYSQL=yes" type of calls and do
> > echo "LOOKUP_MYSQL=yes" >> Local/Makefile-Linux
> > cp src/EDITME Local/Makefile
> > (note that doing the same but in reverse order - first cp Local/Linux,
> > then create Local/Makefile-Linux fails, yay)
>
> "Local/Linux" is never used by the make process.

Sorry, meant Makefile-Linux of course.

> Knobs are set in Local/Makefile. If you've having to change anything
> outside that file, then either:
>
>  * you're building for multiple architectures at once, so are using
>    Local/Makefile-$foo-$bar as well as Local/Makefile
>  or
>  * You're Making Your Life More Complicated Than It Needs To Be

> If you're not building Exim for multiple OSes or hardware platforms at
> once, then forget about any file inside Local/ except Local/Makefile.

> You copy it from src/EDITME and then, as implied by the name of the
> origin file, you edit that Local/Makefile to make the settings you need.

Want to avoid need to edit anything. I want to override original values with
echo XYZ >> Local/Makefile (appending to the end) but this didn't work while
appending to Local/Makefile-Linux overrided Local/Makefile values nicely.

> > Found out that LOOKUP_*_{INCLUDE,LIBS} don't work for non-dynamic build
> > :-/ Why this wasn't made consistent - no idea.
>
> Those are the new controls for dynamic modules. If you're using them,
> then your configuration is not the same as before and you're not using
> the Exim 4.73 config in Exim 4.74.

Yes, just informing about (documented) inconsistency.

> Specifying LOOKUP_MYSQL in the make command-line was not explicitly
> tested by me, as the Exim configuration method has always been to edit
> Local/Makefile to set the needed knobs.

Another inconsistency - FULLECHO needs to be set at make command line (as
described in comment in sources) and doesn't work when set in Local/Makefile.

> I can take another look at
> this, since this does explicitly tie into how lookups-Makefile
> propagates flags into build-$platform/lookups/Makefile -- there is no
> portable way within a Makefile to export values to child process, only
> BSD-style or GNU-style and we use a mutually compatible make system. So
> I had to script something up and it's very possible that I only tested
> the documented build methods, where you edit Local/Makefile, rather than
> adding overrides on the command-line. I can fix lookups-Makefile to
> support those too.

I got building exim at the end (with shared modules). Just that make-is-not-
failing-on-error problem left.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team