Re: [exim] exim-4.74 in Suse 11.3

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim-4.74 in Suse 11.3
On 2011-01-26 at 20:46 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> Previously [1] things worked. Now [2] they fail.
>
> Had to stop using "make LOOKUP_MYSQL=yes" type of calls and do
> echo "LOOKUP_MYSQL=yes" >> Local/Makefile-Linux
> cp src/EDITME Local/Makefile
> (note that doing the same but in reverse order - first cp Local/Linux, then
> create Local/Makefile-Linux fails, yay)

"Local/Linux" is never used by the make process.

Knobs are set in Local/Makefile. If you've having to change anything
outside that file, then either:

* you're building for multiple architectures at once, so are using
Local/Makefile-$foo-$bar as well as Local/Makefile
or
* You're Making Your Life More Complicated Than It Needs To Be

If you're not building Exim for multiple OSes or hardware platforms at
once, then forget about any file inside Local/ except Local/Makefile.
You copy it from src/EDITME and then, as implied by the name of the
origin file, you edit that Local/Makefile to make the settings you need.

> Found out that LOOKUP_*_{INCLUDE,LIBS} don't work for non-dynamic build :-/
> Why this wasn't made consistent - no idea.

Those are the new controls for dynamic modules. If you're using them,
then your configuration is not the same as before and you're not using
the Exim 4.73 config in Exim 4.74.

Specifying LOOKUP_MYSQL in the make command-line was not explicitly
tested by me, as the Exim configuration method has always been to edit
Local/Makefile to set the needed knobs. I can take another look at
this, since this does explicitly tie into how lookups-Makefile
propagates flags into build-$platform/lookups/Makefile -- there is no
portable way within a Makefile to export values to child process, only
BSD-style or GNU-style and we use a mutually compatible make system. So
I had to script something up and it's very possible that I only tested
the documented build methods, where you edit Local/Makefile, rather than
adding overrides on the command-line. I can fix lookups-Makefile to
support those too.

-Phil