Re: [exim] Per RCPT DATA reply

Author: W B Hacker
To: Claus Assmann, exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Per RCPT DATA reply
Claus Assmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011, Todd Lyons wrote:
>> What about an (further) enhancement to esmtp to allow rejection of
>> individual recipients at smtp data time? Yeah, it adds increased
>
> There was a draft to basically use the same reply behaviour as LMTP:
>
> Eric A. Hall
> SMTP Service Extension for Per-Recipient Data Responses (PRDR)
>
> It is implemented in at least one MTA, maybe exim could be another
> one? In that case, we might be able to get it published as RFC.

Based on my chats with Sam over the years, the primary barrier isn't RFC-writing
OR coding - even coding that could shift between / among more than one 'flavor'
of implementation.

It's simple wearinesss....

More folks seem to care about *preventing* per-recipient DATA-phase capability -
ELSE discussing it to death - than care about JF having SOME form - ANY form -
of it. The minute there is a hint of movement, they show up and pile on to
prevent....

Sam's response appears to have been to take the approx 12-year-old dates off his
draft RFC and make it available for anyone who still has the energy to carry on
the fight...

After all - the majority of smtp traffic is on GPL'ed MTA written in C ..and
appropriate code is published that would not require rocket science to port
between and among them.

Easiest, of ourse, would be the merge-in of lmtp ...

If, as, when anoyone actually gives a Massatwoshits...

Don't hold your breath while waiting...

Bill