Re: [exim] exim dies on the interrupted system call

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim dies on the interrupted system call
Артем Каялайнен wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I can't understand how to deal with the dying exim. It dies with this in
> panic log:
> 2010-12-25 23:17:44 [22683] failed to write to main log: length=115
> result=-1 errno=4 (Interrupted system call)
>
> I suppose that this is happening at the moment a high load on the file
> system (backup of mailboxes). At least this was never on weekdays, only on
> weekends, after or during the backup process. Other daemons running without
> problems.
>
> OS is FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE, file system is UFS2 + gjournal (1Tb of free
> space) on raid5 with adaptec 3805 controller. Exim version 4.72
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> P.S. Sorry for my terrible english, i used online translator.
>
> ---
> WBR, Артём Каялайнен.

Should not be happening.

Generally on a 'vanilla' FreeBSD:

- your log is in /var/log/exim/[mainlog|rejectlog|paniclog]

- a 'conventional' mailstore may also be on the /var/ mount-point.

- mbox format can be more challenging w/r b/u than maildir. Which have you?

But none of the above should significantly affect Exim's ability to *log*, even
if the /var/ mountpoint is being heavily accessed. UFS2, the VMFS, and your RAID
controller should be able to juggle all that.

Query:

What cron reports hat look at the log, or what log rotations are being made at
the time of the error?

Is it possible Exim has prepped to do a write and had the 'current' logfile
rotated out from under it?

Bill