[exim] LDAP Bind Failure

Author: Cameron Hurst
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] LDAP Bind Failure
I am currently running into a strange problem contacting my LDAP backed
for some strange reason. I am trying to pull a few bits of information
from it to plug into my config file. I have tested all the expansions
using "exim -be" and they work perfectly fine, i get the data I am
expecting and it is all good. The issue comes when I actually have it
running in the configuration file. Below is a snippet of my commands.

domainlist mailMEO_domains = <\n ${sg{${lookup ldapm {\
    USER=userid=exim,dc=example,dc=ca PASS=****** \
    ldap:///MAILMEO_DOMAINROOT?associatedDomain?one?\

(&(objectClass=inetLocalMailRecipient)(objectClass=dNSDomain))}}}{,}{\\n}}

MAILMEO_DOMAINROOT is previously defined to be
"ou=domains,dc=example,dc=ca" when I enter the above expansion I recieve
a list out properly. When I actually try and send exim an email I get
the following error out.

2010-12-26 18:13:46 failed to expand "<\n ${sg{${lookup ldapm
{USER=userid=exim,dc=example,dc=ca PASS=*****
ldap:///ou=domains,dc=example,dc=ca?associatedDomain?one?(&(objectClass=inetLocalMailRecipient)(objectClass=dNSDomain))}}}{,}{\\n}}"
while checking a list: lookup of "USER=userid=exim,dc=example,dc=ca
PASS=*****
ldap:///ou=domains,dc=example,dc=ca?associatedDomain?one?(&(objectClass=inetLocalMailRecipient)(objectClass=dNSDomain))"
gave DEFER: failed to bind the LDAP connection to server localhost:389 -
ldap_bind() returned -1

The error shows that the macro expansion worked for me and that LDAP
failed to bind. A direct insert from the error log into "exim -be" and
it works without a problem. No errors no failures no nothing. Does
anyone have any suggestions about how I could look for the problem or
what it could possibly be?

This is my second connection to the LDAP query of the LDAP server in the
config file and there is no reporting error from that and it is only 2
lines earlier in the file. Is it possible that the connection is still
open or something weird that I don't understand happens in the background?

Thanks for the help.