Re: [exim] address rewrite not working

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Johann Spies
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] address rewrite not working
On 22 Dec 2010, at 12:31, Johann Spies wrote:

> Please help me to understand and maybe a practical situation will make
> it clear.
>
> On our campus there several mailservers for which we relayed mail. Then
> it happens that one or more of them cease to exist and the mail have to
> be delivered at another place (e.g. exchange).
>
> How would you, without rewriting the email, handle that situation. What
> we did was to rewrite it:

There is no need to rewrite in this case. Standard routing would get the
email there OK - router given below.

However there might be a case to rewrite to ensure that replies (if the
sender addresses were in the deprecated domain), or reply-alls go direct
to their destination rather than via the deprecated domain.

This does have other disadvantages - it is changing mail (which may well
have legal implications) and may break digital signatures. Rewriting is
generally best avoided for these reasons.

> Say the mail serves akad and addresses had the pattern:
> user@???
>
> We rewrote it to user@???.

You could have a router like:-

redirect_deprecated:
driver = redirect
domains = akad.sun.ac.za
data = ${quote_local_part:$local_part}@???

That would handle the delivery. Any rewriting is cosmetic to that.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]