Re: [exim] address rewrite not working

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users, Always Learning
Subject: Re: [exim] address rewrite not working
Hallo Nigel,

> STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!!!!
>
> Two definitive exim rules:-
>
>  - If you are talking about getting mail to a destination, you do
>    not want to be considering rewriting - that is trying to bring
>    a sendmail (everything done by rewrites) mindset into exim

> - Never do mail routing in a system filter

Please help me to understand and maybe a practical situation will make
it clear.

On our campus there several mailservers for which we relayed mail. Then
it happens that one or more of them cease to exist and the mail have to
be delivered at another place (e.g. exchange).

How would you, without rewriting the email, handle that situation. What
we did was to rewrite it:

Say the mail serves akad and addresses had the pattern:
user@???

We rewrote it to user@???.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

     "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding
      in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
      And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the
      glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were
      sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not:
      for behold I bring you good tidings of great joy, which
      shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day
      in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the
      Lord."        Luke 2:8-11