Re: [exim] help - User 0 set for remote_smtp transport is on…

Góra strony
Autor: W B Hacker
Dla: exim users
Temat: Re: [exim] help - User 0 set for remote_smtp transport is on the fixed_never_users list
Dushan Karawita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to Exim and just installed exim on Solairs 9 server. I wanted make my SMTP server as outgoing only. When I'm testing the SMTP locally I can see the following message in the Exim main log and the mail seems to be getting queued forever (subsequent tries also failing).
>
> 2010-11-11 09:25:44 1PGPaO-00036y-I3 User 0 set for remote_smtp transport is on the fixed_never_users list
> 2010-11-11 09:25:44 1PGPaO-00036y-I3 == dushan.karawita@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-29): User 0 set for remote_smtp transport is on the fixed_
>
> I added the alias for root in /etc/alias file, as suggested by previous mailing thread which I could find for the same error. But my problem still exisit.
>
> Appreciate your help here.
>
> Dushan

Problem should go away if you set up an account for *yourself*, add it to the
'wheel' group, login with that UID, and su or sudo only if/as/when you *must*
function as root.

Exim will then see your mail submission as coming from the login UID, not the
EUID of root, even if su'ed to root - and should onpass the mail.

Nothing to do with Exim, but 'the wise' do not generally permit root login in
multi-user mode OR over-the-wire at all - nor necessarily even a 'wheel' group UID.

Safer by far to login with a limited-privs UID, su as required, even if that
means two steps (self to a second wheel-group UID, then again su from
wheel-member to root).

HTH,

Bill