Re: [exim] Spamhaus Lookup

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Spamhaus Lookup
Pete wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This afternoon I noticed that incoming mail was being temporarily
> rejected. The usual suspects basically included just myself at first.
> I've recently set up a new Debian Squeeze install running Exim 4.72.
>
> Suffice it to say that I now seem to have found the cause of the
> temporary rejections. After including a section
> in /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template as shown below, mail flow was
> disrupted :
>
>    deny
>      hosts = !*.domain.example : !*.another.example \
>              !*.onemore.example
>      message = Access denied. Listed at $dnslist_domain.
>      dnslists = zen.spamhaus.org

> Substituting the obvious examples, this configuration has always worked
> ok in the past. Commenting out this section returned incoming mail flow
> to normal. Can anyone see anything here that could cause the
> aforementioned breakage ?
>
> I think the problem is that I cannot resolve zen.spamhaus.org for some
> reason, but then again I can never remember having any trouble with
> spamhaus.org. DNS is working ok here otherwise AFAICT.
>
> I did check on www.spamhaus.org and noticed they were now announcing a
> whitelist service. This is probably old news to many but I didn't see
> anything regarding issues with zen.spamhaus.org.
>
> Anyone having similar trouble now ?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete.

No need to guess. Exim will happily TELL you wot's wot.

A debug run of that acl should tell the tale. At any given moment, anyway.

If the problem is sporadic, as DNS can sometimes be, why not change it to a
'warn' verb, add logwrites and log_message lines to log the relevant info it
had in-hand, sought, and got back. Or not.

HTH,

Bill