Re: [exim] Debian Exim4 setup as transfer agent to smarthost

Author: Chris Wilson
To: Gary Roach
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian Exim4 setup as transfer agent to smarthost
Hi Gary,

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010, Gary Roach wrote:

> I am trying to setup exim4 to transfer automated messages from an
> experimental website to outgoing.verizon.net. The short of it is that I
> can't get exim to finish connecting to outgoing.verizon.net. I am using
> swak to test the conniction with the command line:
>
>     swak --auth --to xxxx@??? --server outgoing.verizon.net

Presumably because Exim isn't working, so you're testing to see if you can
reproduce the problem using Swak?

> -> MAIL FROM:<root@???>
> <** 550 5.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS return address not allowed

It's complaining about the return address, root@???. It says
that it's not valid, which it's not.

Is there a --from option to Swak, or something like that? Could you try
using a real address as your FROM address?

> Using exim to write a message gives the same result except the return is
> dumped into the log file with not as clear failure information.

Could you give us the actual log messages?

> My sending computer is named cruncher and is on domain "domain.com".

If the "hostname" command says "cruncher.domain.com" then a test mail sent
using Exim, if no explicit domain was specified, would often be qualified
as user@???. However this is fully configurable, so please
tell us *exactly* how your website/application is sending the email (what
lines of code and configuration you use to do it) and the relevant parts
of your Exim configuration file (qualify_domain and everything it depends
on).

> My trouble starts when they do some form of reverse DNS lookup on, I
> believe on EHLO, to make sure that I am who I say I am (antispammer). I
> don't know what to send for the DNS lookup or how to send it.

I think it's the return address, not the HELO, that they're complaining
about. Use a real email address (e.g. your own).

Cheers, Chris.
--