Re: [exim] Debian Exim4 setup as transfer agent to smarthost

Author: Jim Cheetham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian Exim4 setup as transfer agent to smarthost
Quoting Gary Roach (from 27/09/10 04:42):
> I am trying to setup exim4 to transfer automated messages from an
> experimental website to outgoing.verizon.net. The short of it is that I
> can't get exim to finish connecting to outgoing.verizon.net. I am using
> swak to test the conniction with the command line:
>
>      swak --auth --to xxxx@??? --server outgoing.verizon.net

> -> MAIL FROM:<root@???>
> <** 550 5.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS return address not allowed
> -> QUIT

> My sending computer is named cruncher and is on domain "domain.com". It

Well, that sounds like your problem. First of all, your computer is
connecting to Verizon claiming to be "cruncher.home", which is not a
valid domain name, therefore Verizon is denying you.

Secondly, I doubt very much that you own the domain name "domain.com".
Seriously, don't invent cute-sounding domain names. That's what spammers
do, and that is what Verizon will assume you to be.

Thirdly, your swaks test is not sending authentication details. Once you
get a swaks test working, you will be able to look at Exim's
configuration in more detail.

- -jim