Re: [exim] Exim Sending Mail Out To Slow

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users, Shalom Levytam
Oggetto: Re: [exim] Exim Sending Mail Out To Slow
On 26 Jul 2010, at 11:30, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> If you're using VERP to handle bounces - and you should in order to keep
> your list clean - then this is irrelevant. You'll only have one recipient
> per message.

There is a more important unstated implication here...

If you are sending to 29K recipients by generating one message with
29K recipient addresses then your performance will always suck.

Aside from anything else, exim always routes all the addresses before
starting delivery. So you will have a substantial delay while many
thousands of domains are routed (unless all the recipients are in
a few domains).

In all cases you want to get your mail injection system to produce
a new message envelope for every n recipients - finding a good value
n is an art - I'd suggest 100 as around the upper level, but thats a
gut feeling.

If you use VERP then you will generate one message envelope per
recipient. This can be done by the original sender, or can be
done within exim. The advantage of this is you get a unique sender
address per recipient - which makes working out which address is
bouncing much much easier.

Some more details (or references) on VERP and handling it within
exim can be found at
    http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html#verpin
although this is aimed at Mailman lists, the configuration can be
adapted to other systems

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]