From: Bryn Jones <bpaj@???>
Subject: Re: [exim] How to use Domainkeys and DKIM with Exim 4.7.1?
To: "john george" <zngr2003@???>
Cc: "exim-users@???" <exim-users@???>
Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 12:50 PM

Ok, as no one has replied to this one yet, the options as I see them are:

1. Use the Exim 4.70+ DKIM support as I assume you are now.

Pros: It works, is simple, and maintained.
Cons: It doesn't satisfy the DomainKeys requirement.

2. Install two versions of Exim, version 4.69 with the experimental DomainKeys support and Exim 4.70+ with DKIM support, and arrange to have messages passed through 4.69 and DomainKeys signed, then through 4.70+ and DKIM signed.

Pros: I can't see why it wouldn't work, it's a Pure Exim solution!
Cons: Messy; you need to maintain two Exim configurations, and an old version of Exim complete with any bugs etc; have to run the second Exim on nonstandard ports and nonstandard  spool locations to do it on one box.

3. Use a proxy to sign outgoing messages. For example DKIMproxy can sign with both DomainKeys and DKIM (found by typing "DomainKeys DKIM proxy" into google).

Pros: Only adding one additional step to the message path; not deliberately using old, and as you cant upgrade it, unmaintained version of Exim.
Cons: Adds another program to install and maintain.

All this is all from a technical point of view, there are other people who can, and have recently, argued the utility of these sorts of signatures at all (check the list archives if you want to see that).

One thing I will say is that adding the DomainKeys signature to the DKIM signature only allows MTAs who understand DomainKeys but not DKIM to validate the message. I would argue that the number of MTAs out there that fall into that category is rapidly approaching zero, so unless you have a specific need (i.e. specific recipient(s)), it's probably not worth the effort.

Bryn
--
Or words to that effect...