Re: [exim] Spam not being spam checked

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Spam not being spam checked
a.smith@??? wrote:
> Thanks Bill,
>
>    I guessed that logic was deciding whether to check for spam or not,
> the config has these comments directly above that section:

> ## Anti-spam
> ## - spools, then scans
> ## - an alternative to the ACL method
> ## - only mail comming in via SMTP or ESMTP is scanned!
> ## - ASMTP, and
> ## - Ignored for callout verification
>
> The only other section in the config that is dealing with spam is this
> section:
>
> spamcheck_pipe:
>    driver = pipe
>    command = "/usr/local/sbin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS"
>    use_bsmtp = true
>    timeout_defer = true
>    transport_filter = "/usr/local/bin/spamc -u mailnull"
>    user = mailnull
>    group = mail
>    home_directory = "/var/spool/exim/scan"
>    current_directory = "/var/spool/exim/scan"
>    log_output = true
>    return_fail_output = true
>    return_path_add = false
>    message_prefix =
>    message_suffix =

> So Im failing to understand where the logic is that is deciding that
> some mails will be scanned and others not... :S
>
> thanks Andy.

It's there.

So long as you don't have any other routers....

It just doen't select on anything consistently meaningful.

And - presuming you DO have other routers, you then get into the Catch 22 of
where to place it in sequence, and how to have it trigger AND NOT interfere with
OTHER delivery.

Another reason whatever it is you are trying to do (which is WHAT? BTW?) is
almsot certainly best performed in acl's.

Bill