[exim] Sieve filtering setup

Author: Simon Friedberger
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Sieve filtering setup
Hi everybody,

I have some issues with sieve filtering using exim.

Now, I looked into it and it seems sieve will return "inbox" for example
for the implicit keep and may return relative paths like "somefolder/" if
that is passed to fileinto.
So the docs suggest setting up the appendfile transport with this:

file = ${if eq{$address_file}{inbox} \
            {/var/mail/$local_part} \
            {${if eq{${substr_0_1:$address_file}}{/} \
                  {$address_file} \
                  {$home/mail/$address_file} \
            }} \
       }

But I am using maildirs so I would have to change this to something like this:
file = ${if eq{$address_file}{inbox} \
            {$home/.maildir/} \
            {${if eq{${substr_0_1:$address_file}}{/} \
                  {$address_file} \
                  {$home/.maildir/$address_file} \
            }} \
       }
Or something similar.
But:
1. I don't think this works because the appendfile transport needs the maildir_format = true option to deliver to maildirs otherwise it will just complain.
2. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have a special case where the file transport behaves like the directory transport (nor do I know if it's possible).

So maybe if missed it somewhere but is there a more reasonable way to set what the default "inbox" should mean for sieve and how it should qualify relative paths so that it will just return absolute paths?

Isn't that what exim filter does? It seems to at least qualify relatives paths with my home directory.

Alright, thank you for listening and I hope somebody has more insight. :)

Best
Simon