Re: [pcre-dev] Omitting DFA engine

Author: Jean-Christophe Deschamps
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Omitting DFA engine

Philip,

     Sure. If you aren't using it, there's not reason to include it. I
     don't
     understand how Windows works, but in other operating systems when
     you
     link an application with a static library, only those functions
     that you
     actually use get called in. Having pcre_exec() and pcre_dfa_exec()
     in
     separate modules is supposed to ensure this. (In the very first
     releases
     of PCRE, when there were no "optional" functions, all the code was
     in
     one module. But it was a lot smaller!)
     If you can't achieve the omission automatically, can you not just
     link
     your application with the appropriate PCRE object files, but
     omitting
     pcre_dfa_exec()? In a Unix environment I'd just include those .o
     files
     that held the functions I wanted, bypassing the pre-linked library.
     (This is the way it was done when PCRE was embedded in Exim.)

Thank you for your answer. I'm a simple AutoIt user and I don't have
access to the build process (the product is free but no more
open-source). In fact I was confused by pcretest which has to link
pcre-dfa-exec to support the DZ option.
I don't know why, I was under the wrong impression that a regexp-level
switch (à la (?i)) was available to force DFA use.
I apologize for asking what turns out to be a dumb question. The DFA
module, not being explicitely called, simply won't get linked at all
(whatever the OS is).
Anyway, this gives me the opportunity to warmly thank you and every
contributor for making such an excellent tool available and constantly
improving it.
Cheers.

   --
             Jean-Christophe Deschamps