[pcre-dev] Omitting DFA engine

Author: Jean-Christophe Deschamps
To: pcre-dev
Subject: [pcre-dev] Omitting DFA engine

Hi,
My context is embedding PCRE into the core of a Windows scripting
language (AutoIt).
Our developpers have PCRE working for years, but they didn't include
UCP support. The debate is about the increased executable size.
Since we have absolutely no use of the DFA engine, is it harmless to
completely empty the pcre-dfa-exec() function and get rid of all other
code in pcre_dfa_exec.c ? Keeping things this way would minimize
changes to building process.
I did try it and it compiles fine on MinGW but I'd like to get sure
there isn't a catch doing so. Indeed, omitting the DFA engine offsets
a significant part of the increase in executable size due to including
UCP support (~50Kb tables).
Thanks for your kind answer.

   --
             Jean-Christophe Deschamps