Re: [exim] Apple mail...

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Apple mail...
Nigel Wade wrote:
*snip*

> Recent versions of Apple Mail certainly work here, where I use a very
> non-standard SMTP SSL port. AFAI can remember we just told it to use SSL on this
> port. My iPhone also works on this non-standard port with SSL enabled, and the
> OP said their iPhone did not.

My last *attempt* at use of A-pile Mail must be over six years ago, so, yeah..

> We do, however, have a proper server cert. which
> may well be a problem for the OP as I know of no way of adding (or even seeing)
> server certs. or CA certs on the iPhone. Apple are not exacly into openness.

ACK, ISTR that was another issue.

Figure VeriSign has been convicted of felony what - three times in US state
courts, and even Micros**t has had certs or CA's compromised. We have never had
either problem.

On that basis, we *always* use our own certs and act as CA.

AND shed ALL such from a browser at time of install in favor of manual approval.

Doesn't take long to cover your usual sites, and helps you nail the Mike
Foxtrots at doubleclick, adserver, and that ilk who like to sneak in under the
radar on https..

Bill