Re: [exim] Apple mail...

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Apple mail...
Nigel Wade wrote:
> On 20/05/10 14:54, W B Hacker wrote:
>> Nigel Wade wrote:

>>> No. That's correct for an "SSL" client. It works from my iPhone to Exim.
>>>

>> 465 *may* work as [pure | legacy] SSL, yes.
>>
>> IF the MTA is still so configured.
>>
>> But an MTA should no longer BE so configured.
>>
>> Given that:
>>
>> A) 465 was never, ever, formally finalized and adopted by IANA/IETF for
>> 'official' smtp submission use, despite de-facto co-option for a decade or two
>> while the battle raged...
>>
>> .. and 587 was finally adopted...
>>
>> and
>>
>> B) 465 *was* formally and officially turned-over to a Cisco protocl WEF
>> February of .. several years ago now...
>>
>> Ergo .. running 465 as an SSL-smtp submission port is technically an RFC
>> violation, and SHOULD be discontinued.
>>
>> Mind, I won't hold my breath waiting...
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Bill
>>

> The port number should not affect whether SSL/TLS actually works, though.

SSL/TLS no. Apple's verdamnt *assumptions* yes. Can do. Or once did.

Ditto Haiku, where *my* problem is that I actually run 587 as tls_on_connect, eg
SSL not 'modern' TLS - and Haiku lacks the knobs to adjust for that. Or did do.
ISTR it now auto-seeks or something. Or I recoded mine to do so... getting old...

> If the server is set up to accept tls_on_connect on port 465, and the client
> attempts that kind of connection on port 465 it should work, no matter what an
> RFC or the IANA allocation says that port 465 is meant to be used for. Something
> else must be wrong. I run SSL on an entirely different port for operational reasons.

ACK. SA. But the OP's issue is with Pferdapfels Mail, and it is not (or was not
- remember I always scrap it) as easily configured as real MUA.

Bill