Re: [exim] Apple mail...

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Apple mail...
Peter Pöml wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 17.05.2010 um 12:47 schrieb John Doe:
>> Hi,
>>
>> thx for all the answers.
>> Most people do use tbird or outlook, but one has a mac...
>>
>> From: Phil Pennock <exim-users@???>
>>> A little more detail than that might be helpful, to know how it
>>> failed.
>> Sorry, here it is...
>> TLS error on connection from xxx [ip] (SSL_accept): error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
>>
>> I must also confess that it is not the latest exim (4.63-3.el5, latest on CentOS 5.4)...
>> I will continue my tests...
>
> I ran into something similar (same error message) with two iPod Touch devices, which where supposed to talk IMAP via SSL to a Cyrus IMAP daemon. I suppose it is the same problem. There seems to be a bug in Apple Mail which causes it to confuse some of its settings. (I observed it about a year ago.) I didn't debug it to end, so I don't know whether Apple Mail maybe tried to speak clear text on the SSL port or something similar, but I got the feeling that restarting the program might help to not get confused, and behave as supposed. In other words, a change in the programs preferences didn't become active directly as one would expect.
>
> Sorry that I can't offer a solution,
> Peter

Not sure which Mac - but the OP's client should be able to utilize any of 'many'
alternative MUA to Apple Mail. Ones that JFW.

Among the easiest for even a noob to install and configure are the
cross-platform browser-maker's freebies:

- SeaMonkey's built-in MUA

- Thunderbird

- Opera's built-in MUA

(Opera CAVEAT: not everyone wants all messages for all accounts stored in a
single DB, and - though it defies logic - Opera's DB backend was nowhere near as
nimble as SeaMonkey's storage structure when you have over 100,000 messages
IMAP-synced on a dozen accounts. Perhaps that has been fixed.)

Plus: The browser-suite based ones can also make Webmail accounts easier to
handle in the same ergo-space for those who also have such.

JM2CW

Bill