Re: [exim] smtp_max / eblast

Author: Jean-Paul natola
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] smtp_max / eblast

> Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 21:37:59 -0400
> From: wbh@???
> To: exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [exim] smtp_max / eblast
>
> Wakko Warner wrote:
> > Graeme Fowler wrote:
> >> OK, so let's have a look at your log entry...

> >> "temporarily".
> >>
> >> And "after DATA".
> >>
> >> These are really important terms. Your server, for some reason, rejected
> >> the message with a 4xx response after it received the DATA part of the
> >> transaction; without other detail we don't know why. If the sender
> >> didn't honour the 4xx response, then they are not correctly configured
> >> *or* your machine subsequently sent a 5xx (permanent) response after the
> >> detail you gave us.
> >
> > I'd like to add what I've seen on a small server using slow dialup:
> >
> > I've noticed some strange things happening when the network line is loaded.
> > Here's my last temporarily rejected entry for the DATA phase.
> > 2010-04-30 01:30:39 1O7ilc-0002eg-T3 H=tahini.csx.cam.ac.uk [131.111.8.192]
> > I=[192.168.2.1]:25 F=<exim-users-bounces+animx.eu.org@???>
> > temporarily rejected after DATA
> >
> > # grep "^acl_smtp_data" /etc/exim4/exim4.conf
> > acl_smtp_data = /etc/exim4/data.acl
> > # grep warn /etc/exim4/data.acl | wc -l
> > 0
> > #
> >
> > In other words, I have no stanzas in my config that have warn in the data
> > phase, but still the message was temp reject. I have no clue why it does
> > this. It seems to only happen when the connection's usage is at 100%. The
> > session duration appears to be about 6.5 minutes long. The connection was
> > closed with "QUIT".
> >
> > It would be nice to know why it did this, but it doesn't happen that often.
> >

> Most curious. I have *very* complex acl clauses in the DATA section.
>
> Yet the only such messages I have are from the same hour of the same day a year
> ago when I was mucking about with an acl clause that 'failed to expand...' due
> to mis-matched brackets.
>
> Any chance that your Exim - or that of the OP - is temporarily unable to write
> the message into the queue storage area due to a clash of privs,
> in-use-by-other, some maintenance pass being run, or lack of raw space?

its definatley not a space issue

/dev/ad0s1a    496M    170M    286M    37%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1e    496M     12M    444M     3%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f    9.0G    3.2G    5.1G    39%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1d    1.4G    434M    919M    32%    /var

and not a privs issue either, and the only maintenance is done by me manually