Re: [exim] smtp_max / eblast

Author: Wakko Warner
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] smtp_max / eblast
Graeme Fowler wrote:
> OK, so let's have a look at your log entry...
>
> > 2010-05-13 11:08:03 1OCZtL-000Iko-E9 H=m190.salsalabs.net [69.174.83.190] F=<org2@???> temporarily rejected after DATA
>
> "temporarily".
>
> And "after DATA".
>
> These are really important terms. Your server, for some reason, rejected
> the message with a 4xx response after it received the DATA part of the
> transaction; without other detail we don't know why. If the sender
> didn't honour the 4xx response, then they are not correctly configured
> *or* your machine subsequently sent a 5xx (permanent) response after the
> detail you gave us.

I'd like to add what I've seen on a small server using slow dialup:

I've noticed some strange things happening when the network line is loaded.
Here's my last temporarily rejected entry for the DATA phase.
2010-04-30 01:30:39 1O7ilc-0002eg-T3 H=tahini.csx.cam.ac.uk [131.111.8.192]
    I=[192.168.2.1]:25 F=<exim-users-bounces+animx.eu.org@???>
    temporarily rejected after DATA

# grep "^acl_smtp_data" /etc/exim4/exim4.conf
acl_smtp_data = /etc/exim4/data.acl
# grep warn /etc/exim4/data.acl | wc -l
0
#

In other words, I have no stanzas in my config that have warn in the data
phase, but still the message was temp reject. I have no clue why it does
this. It seems to only happen when the connection's usage is at 100%. The
session duration appears to be about 6.5 minutes long. The connection was
closed with "QUIT".

It would be nice to know why it did this, but it doesn't happen that often.

Got Gas???