Re: [exim] Looking for a sample configuration

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Looking for a sample configuration
Jim Cheetham wrote:
> Quoting Jim Trigg (from 24/04/10 13:59):
>> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Jim Cheetham <jim@???> wrote:
>>> If the users that are receiving email are supposed to have system
>>> (shell) accounts for other reasons, and the whole domain-without-tld
>>> naming scheme has a valid use for permissions in the file system
>
>> A) They have shell accounts on purpose, for reasons unrelated to email.
>> B) The domain group scheme is used to determine on what domains their
>> personal web pages are made available.
>
> Excellent; you do have a reason and it sounds like a good one. That will
> hopefully stop people muddying the answers with "if you do it
> differently, it would look like _this_ ..." :-)
>
> -jim

Yes but... NOW that we have a more complete picture yet...

Given a similar need, we just set the user's home dir in /etc/master/passwd et
al to where we parked their web pages. Made scp etc easier.

And both Exim and Dovecot can manage Maildir living in the same or a similar
structure or parallel fork of the web pages. Both seek wherever they are told to
seek - not just in a 'traditional' path.

... and can honor file links to consolidate those users who have access to more
than one domain, or domains that more than user has access to... IF group privs
alone are not enough.

Ergo neither a list nor a DB has to be maintained at all. The fs and UID records
become such.

Just create the dirtrees and send a message to activate as each new 'set' is
sold/granted/migrated...

Exim can be told to create the Maildir structure automagically if it does not
already exist, with what EUID and EGID and mask...

Dovecot will in turn create its indices and infrastructure within that on first
retrieval access attempt.

A bit of prior planning, but not much admin work thereafter.

Bill