Re: [exim] Exim Mailing List - Imposing Mimimum Technical Po…

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Always Learning
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Exim Users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Exim Mailing List - Imposing Mimimum Technical Posting Standards ?

J.R.Haynes wrote on Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:57:12 +0100 (BST).

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 at 16:57 +0100, Always Learning wrote
>
> > particularly when confronted with the fact that in 99.9999999999998% of
> > genuine emails, and in 100% of business emails, the 'To:' header is
> > present ?
> >

> I'm curious as to why you believe this to be the case. I just sent myself
> two messages using Outlook (a client with rather high use in business
> emails...), one with my address in Cc: and one with it in Bcc:. In both
> cases there was no To: header and in the Bcc: case no Cc: header either.
>
> Sending emails with all the addresses in Bcc: is not unusual and not just
> for legitimate 'marketing' emails. Think of an organisation running a
> training course sending joining instructions to all delegates for example.

That's their decision. If it was my company they would use a 'proper'
mailing application, integrated with a database, rather than a M$
make-do. That way every single email would be personally addressed to
the recipient.

> I also checked with the alpine client and again there is no To: if Cc: is
> present. If Bcc: was the only recipient field used then by default alpine
> does add a To: undisclosed-recipients:; header but that can be switched
> off.
>
> Oh and this message nearly ended up with only a Cc: header as I did
> reply-all which on alpine puts the original sender in the To: field and
> all other addresses (i.e. the list in this case) in Cc:. I then removed
> your direct address as you are on the list. While writing the message I
> realised that perhaps I had better move exim-users to the To: line for
> this particular situation!

Our Exim servers now accept no 'To:' headers but only for this list's
emails. Otherwise if senders can't be bothered to send us 'proper'
emails containing the basic 5 header fields:

their emails are refused. Providing the headers are present, the
content is not tested.

I can send emails without Message-IDs, Dates, Subjects, Froms and Tos
headers using an own coded programme (or script) but I don't.

I'm simple, 5 headers or the email is ignored.

Regards,

Paul.