Re: [exim] Looking for a sample configuration

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Looking for a sample configuration
Jim Trigg wrote:
> Does anyone here use system groups to determine what domains are valid
> for a system user to receive mail through? I am hosting nine domains on
> a single system, and am looking for a simple way to allow a given user
> to receive email through a defined subset of the domains. (I'm not yet
> worrying about the consideration that I want to have one user name on
> half the domains and another on the other half...)
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi Jim,

I sort of passed-over that, as I put what would otherwise be 'system' users into
a virtual user DB along with all other identities, real or synthetic.

But we HAVE used our SQL DB - driven Exim to do something similar for those who
must admin or support multiple <domain>.<tld>, or groups of clients (by
commercial criteria, not smtp), and even no-human-involved automated
distribution and archiving of .pdf and .doc of blank forms and completed
contracts between branches and HQ.

Conceptually, it uses the DB to map addresses to destinations or local IMAP
(sub)folders of one or several ID's - (any or all of fan out, fan-in, A to A, A
to B, etc). IOW - $local_part and $domain are just the start of the mapping, and
not the sole criteria.

The 'top level' of the IMAP tree may be either an individual or shared-access
ID/folder AND not necesarily itself an email address or system UID at all.
It doesn't really even have to be (only) on the same box. We archive some of
tgese off-box as we go.

CAVEATS:

- Adding an SQL DB critter to the mix is not the only way to get there - just
one with the least likelihood of future limitations.

- If one DOES add an SQL DB, it requires admin work as well as CPU, RAM, and fs
resources, so the flexibility has a price. Even more so if you want a
decent-feeling AND secure web interface to all of it.

So if no interest ... I'll go and have a nap..

;-)

Bill