Re: [exim] What do these commands do, what are their effect…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] What do these commands do, what are their effects to message queue?
anebi@??? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm newbie with exim and experienced a problem with some messages that
> were not send. In exim main logs i saw this error for the messages:
> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any
> host
>
> As i read and checked in the net, this can happen because rejected
> connections from the remot stmp server, then system retry sending of
> messages. Also can be caused from corrupted exim database.
>
> I read in the net for this solution:
>
> /usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim retry > /dev/null
> /usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim reject > /dev/null
> /usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim wait-remote_smtp > /dev/null

These effectively 'clean up' the retry, reject, and wait_remote_smtp db when
called. That is normally a periodically scheduled event anyway, so no harm.

> /scripts/courierup -- force
> /scripts/eximup --force

The courier call may be a POP/IMAP rehup, daemon and/or Courier's webmail.
You'd have to check the entries in each of the scripts called to be sure:

less /scripts/courierup

less /scripts/eximup

> Can you tell me what the first 3 commands do and what are their effects
> to the messages in queue and the messages that gets this error message?

You are effectively giving Exim a case of temporary amnesia and sending it back
to school to relearn - ahead of schedule.

;-)

> Are there any bad effects to use these commands - messages to be lost,
> messages to be removed from queue or something similar?

No bad effects should be expected.

> I'm sorry for my bad english ;)

Hadn't noticed.

BTW - the scripts you cite are probably a local or OS/distro inheritance - built
to make use of documented Exim controls, but not themselves ordinarily a part of
the Exim 'package' (AFAIK), so probably not covered directly in the main Exim docs.

You might have a look in the examples, or if a Linux, especially Debian or
derivatives, at the specific docs which that team will have supplied with their
modified distro. That may not apply here, as that team call Exim 'Exim4' and you
have not mentioned that identity.

> Thanks in advanced!

HTH,

Bill