Re: [exim] What do these commands do, what are their effects…

Author: John Hall
To: exim-users
CC: anebi
Subject: Re: [exim] What do these commands do, what are their effects to message queue?
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 07:57, anebi@??? <anebi@???>wrote:

> As i read and checked in the net, this can happen because rejected
> connections from the remot stmp server, then system retry sending of
> messages. Also can be caused from corrupted exim database.
>
> I read in the net for this solution:
>
> /usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim retry > /dev/null
> /usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim reject > /dev/null
> /usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim wait-remote_smtp > /dev/null
>
> /scripts/courierup -- force
> /scripts/eximup --force
>
> Can you tell me what the first 3 commands do and what are their effects
> to the messages in queue and the messages that gets this error message?

From the Exim book:

"Exim collects data about previously encountered delivery problems, in order
to adapt its behaviour to changing circumstances. It remembers, for example,
the hosts to which it has been unable to connect, so as not to keep trying
them too often. The term 'hints' is used to describe this data, because it
is not critical for Exim's operation."

The three commands you have delete all data from three of Exim's databases
older than a day; see
http://exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch50.html#SECThindatmai
.

Running these commands is pretty safe and should not affect the queue in any
way.

The message you are seeing in your log is not necessarily a problem. It
appears when a periodic queue runner looks at a message which has previously
failed and is not due to be retried yet. If you find Exim's id for the
message, run 'exim -Mvl <id>' and you can see when the message has been
tried and determine whether the error you are seeing is reasonable or not.

Regards,
John