Re: [exim] How to check to see if email went through gateway…

Author: Dave Evans
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to check to see if email went through gateway first
On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 11:52:06PM -0400, Frank DeChellis wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We run exim 4.67 and we have Barricade MX as our gateway filter. We
> installed the filter and changed our MX record 3 weeks ago. The filter
> works great, but lots of mail is still getting sent directly to our SMTP
> server. I can say, with great certainty, that 100.1% of the email going
> directly to our SMTP is spam.

So, let me just check I've got this right:

* Exim is accepting connections on port 25 from any IP
* the Barricade box connects directly to Exim
* so if Exim accepts a connection from the Barricade box, it should process
the mail as normal
* and if Exim accepts a connection from anywhere *other* than the Barricade
box, it is (as you say) 100.1% spam

Have I understood correctly so far?

Final question: before you changed your MX record 3 weeks ago, was the TTL on
that (old) DNS record less than 3 weeks?

If yes, then your assertion about 100.1% spam is correct (give or take 0.1%),
so you can either:

* configure your firewall to allow connections to Exim only from the
Barricade box

or

* have Exim deny all connections except those that come from the Barricade
box (deny !hosts = $ip.of.barricade.box in acl_smtp_connect)

If the Barricade box does something /other/ than connect directly to Exim,
then none of what I've said above applies, and you should describe your set-up
in more detail.

--
Dave Evans
http://djce.org.uk/