Re: [exim] temporary reject of a host

Author: Dave Evans
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] temporary reject of a host
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:04:17AM +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Manao ahoana, Hello, Bonjour,
>
> I would like to setup an Exim relay for a LAN (192.168.0.0/16)
> I know how to allow 192.168.0.0/16 to use this relay to mail out.
>
> Now, if there is one host in 192.168.0.0/16 that abuses, I would like
> to temporary REJECT it (with an explicit SMTP deny message such as
> "Contact Mihamiha to be abble to send again").
> We are used to put the host IP in one file that Exim should check at
> each SMTP request, where we list temporary blocked hosts.
>
> Once the host user has talked to me, I just remove his IP address from
> the file without having to restart Exim and the show goes on.
>
> So, I need help on keyword to search on for taht purpose. Could you
> please guide me?

Certainly: the simplest way of doing this is to add to your
"acl_smtp_connect" ACL, "defer"ring for the "hosts" in question.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECID191
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECID200
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECTcondmodproc

You can either specify the hosts directly in the exim.conf file, or tell exim
to find the host list in some separate file (in which case, no need to restart
exim if the list changes).

--
Dave Evans
http://djce.org.uk/