Re: [exim] Lookup domain before delivery

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: Thierry Lavallee
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Lookup domain before delivery
Thierry Lavallee, 2010-03-04 20:58:

> Example (very far fetched example): if say I set a hotmail.com domain on my
> machine it will deliver any xyz@??? message locally without
> verifying the real DNS setup. So the real xyz@??? user will never
> receive the message.
>
> QUESTION: Is there a way to tell exim to lookup the domain before delivery?

Sure. How to do it totally depends on your router configuration,
especially the order.

Exim's default config has a dnslookup router listed as the first one. If
you remove the "domains = ! +local_domains" line and add "self = pass",
it should work.

If you have the router for your local domains before the one for remote
domains, you could probably use the dnslookup router instead of the
accept router for your "localuser" and use "self = send" on it. (Don't
know if that works, though).

Both approaches depend on stable dns resolving, so you should take care
of that. Exim defers the address on dns timeouts by default, so it's
probably not that critical.