Re: [exim] mailing list != tech support

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users

--On 23 February 2010 16:47:33 -0500 Eli <e.sand+exim-users@???>
wrote:

>> Not being expertly familiar with Exim configuration (and thus, in need of
>> tech support from the exim-users mailing list)...
>
> I would just like to point out, to all current mailing list members, and
> to any future potential members, that we are not "tech support" for Exim.

I'm not sure that I agree. We certainly are volunteers, and we're not
contractually obligated to provide support. However, I'm not aware of any
other organisation that provides support for Exim users. We do. It's
support, and it's techical. And, in my experience, it's first class
support. What it occasionally lacks in terms of graciousness, it more than
makes up for in effectiveness.

I guess that my main objection to being regarded as "tech support" is that
it lumps us in with all the useless, expensive tech support operations
provided by commercial vendors (as well as the good commercial vendors).

I guess I'd say it like this: "Exim's technical support is provided by a
knowledgeable, enthusiastic community of peers. Most technical support
requests are quickly met with a variety of possible solutions, and with
additional contextual advice."

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex