Re: [exim] Exim Consolidating users

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Jonathan Gilpin
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Consolidating users
On 2010-02-20 at 16:49 +0000, Jonathan Gilpin wrote:
> If a mailbox exists of postmaster@??? with a catchall alias of *@ domain to that mailbox.
>
> If a message is sent to several users@??? then Exim only delivers one message to the Mailbox with multiple addresses in the Delivered-To or other headers..
>
> I want to stop this behaviour so that Exim does not deliver one message but a message to each of the recipients.
>
> Can this be done?

By default, Exim should be doing a delivery per recipient, to local
mail-boxes. This is controlled by the "batch_max" option, which
defaults to 1. If you're setting this to something else, don't do that.

If the @domain.com is forwarding mails to another server which is some
kind of black box, then that black box is responsible for deciding what
to do when one message is received with multiple RCPT TO: parameters.
If it is not possible to change this on the black box, then you can
force Exim to deliver multiple copies of the mail with only one
recipient per copy, using "max_rcpt" on the SMTP transport used. You
probably want to use a dedicated Transport for this routing, so that you
don't do this for outbound mail to others.

Bear in mind when you do this that such black boxes often have duplicate
message elimination, which basically does a uniq based on the
"Message-Id:" mail-header. So you might end up with just one mail, with
only some of the recipients. Test carefully!

If neither of the scenarios I have described is applicable, then you'll
need to provide more detailed information about what you're doing
exactly, including configuration, log file proof, etc.

Your initial mail omits so many needed details and is sufficiently
indeterminate as a result that I held off replying.

-Phil