Re: [exim] Saving Recipient Before Rewriting Recipient

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Saving Recipient Before Rewriting Recipient
Hello Paul,

everything stated below should be read as „should“, because I'm not very
sure about it. But probably it's some hint for further reading
(.spec.txt, section 31.2 for the 4.68 specs)

Always Learning <exim.users@???> (Di 02 Feb 2010 06:57:28 CET):
> I rewrite RCPT in the Rewrite section of exim.conf using flag T.

If you rewrite during SMTP time, your original recipient is „lost“.

> I would like to store the original RCPT value before the Rewrite wipes
> it out.

„Normal“ rewriting occures as soon as all header lines are received, so
probably you could add some X-Original-Recipient header.

> The manual states the RCPT can not be changed in Transports which is the
> other place headers can be rewritten.

True. During transport it's to late to change the recipient (envelope).

> The earliest one can add a header is in ACL MAIL (using warn add_header)
> but at that stage $recipients has been changed and $local_part and
> $domain are empty.

You should not use SMTP rewriting (the „S“ flag forces rewriting at SMTP
time).

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -