Re: [exim] Issues with greylisting - NEW IMPLEMENTATION

Author: Alain Williams
To: Todd Lyons
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Issues with greylisting - NEW IMPLEMENTATION
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 08:59:01AM -0800, Todd Lyons wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Alain Williams <addw@???> wrote:
> >
> > I have written it up at the URL below, I have put this up on a test machine and it seems
> > to work.
> >
> >        http://www.phcomp.co.uk/TechTutorial/HOWTOs/GreyListing.php
>
> Your sql creates a function named greylist_defer() but your your exim
> macro GREY_TEST is calling a function greylisted(). Other than that

Whoops! I changed the function name when I documented it, hopefully more readable.
Thanks - fixed. I also changed the macro name so that the acl reads better.

> it looks solid (untested). Puts all the work in the database, and
> makes a very small exim function call. Nice. I also agree with
> MIke's post that your cleanup should be part of the query.

Hmmm: I can see people just taking this and blindly implementing it, in which case
what is a suitable number in:

    RAND() < 0.01

0.01 will compare 1 in 100. My home machine gets some 50,000 connections a day, so that
will result in a tidy operation 500 times/day -- far too many.
Choose a different number and it might not be suitable on a less busy machine.

That is why I suggest putting it in cron - at least you know that it will happen
once/day (or whatever).

However: opinions will differ. I will add something to the ''Discussion & config changes''
section that talks about this. I'll wait for more opinion before doing so.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256 http://www.phcomp.co.uk/