Re: [exim] Exim : The Documentation

Top Pagina
Auteur: Always Learning
Aan: Exim Users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Exim : The Documentation

Hi Kirill,

Morn, morn hvordan stor det til? Jeg likker Norge. {Sorry about the
spellings. Its been 34 years since I had my first lesson}

Mange takt for your reply dated Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:21:17 +0100.

> As several others has pointed out, Exim's documentation is extensive and
> updated.

That's partially the problem. It is extensive and bits of the same
aspect are distributed in several places so it can be hard work
understanding a particular point because all the relevant details are
not in once place.

> It's a reference, not a tutorial, and personally I appreciate that a
> lot.

It is not strictly a reference manual because parts of it resemble a
computer user guide.

> You say:
>
> > The problem with Exim documentation is one can't easily implement one's
> > own ideas because of the structure and content of the documentation.
> > Often one is left wondering how the hell do I do that?
>
> Do you have any specific examples of that? You see, unlike other MTAs,
> Exim is really a MTA framework and Perl's motto TIMTOWTDI applies just
> as well to exim. There is more that one way to do most things.

Exim may be a MTA framework but it is a well thought out and designed
computer program which permits considerable user configuration. In some
aspects Exim is just like other MTAs when it provides its basic
functionality. Exim's attraction for me is I can see how much clever
thinking has gone into the logic responsible for Exim's design. I would
like to utilise some of that considerable effort. Consequently I need to
understand more about Exim.

> If you have specific questions or need help implementing something, just
> post it to the list and people will come up with ideas and help.

That is why I ventured onto this list. I will post separate topics.

Hilsen.

Paul.