Re: [exim] Exim : The Documentation

Top Pagina
Auteur: Peter Rindfuss
Aan: exim
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Exim : The Documentation
I completely disagree.

To me, Exim has one of the best documentations in the field of major
open source software products in both an absolute and a relative sense.

To give an example: Several years ago when both I was new to Exim and
Greylisting was a new anti-spam idea, I was able to implement the latter
in Exim just using the Exim manual and the basic concept of Greylisting.
I had no example code at hand. The logic is still in use on my
institute's central mail server and works nicely. The implementation is
completely inline in Exim ACLs (database in MySQL); no external
greylisting demon is being used.

Exim's manual is a lot better then the documentation of several other
important open source software products I'm using. I do not want to
point my finger at anyone, being a lazy documenter myself and
understanding the problems of voluntary work on large software projects.
But it is a fact.

The manual is, certainly, a reference manual and not an undergrad textbook.

Peter