Re: [exim-dev] Exim version control system

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Exim version control system
On måndagen den 11 januari 2010, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> A question that has been re-raised with me today... should we be looking to
> transition the current exim VCS from CVS to git?
>
> Personally I would have a degree of preference for this, as exim is the
> only project I now have contact with that uses CVS (a couple I have links
> with use svn/svk but I think they are likely to go git as they are perl
> and the perl core is now all git; all others are now git based including
> all of my personal/work stuff).

I was sceptical towards DVCSs at first, but we use git at my work and I quite
quickly came to like it.

> We would have to convert the cvs commit hooks to git hooks (some of these,
> such as the bugzilla integration, would fire on push operations to the
> master repository rather than on commit - this might be a good thing as it
> allows the revision of commits prior to push). The $Cambridge$ tags would
> also need to be stripped.

And the code that parses those automatic commit messages and creates links
from Bugzilla to cvs.exim.org would have to be adapted. We lose the CVS
integration in Bugzilla that means that if you upload a patch created with cvs
diff, you can view it with unlimited context, but that's probably no big deal
- how many of you even didn't know about it?

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)