Re: [exim-dev] Exim version control system

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Exim version control system
Richard Welty <rwelty@???> (Mo 11 Jan 2010 14:26:37 CET):
> On 1/11/10 8:02 AM, Jethro R Binks wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> >

> >> A question that has been re-raised with me today... should we be looking
> >> to transition the current exim VCS from CVS to git?
> >>
> > Not that I much care, but why git vs. any myriad other VCS?
> >

> git has better support for parallel development threads than any other
> open source
> version control system that i'm familiar with.

Just to name some other: Mercurial. But the most active developers
should vote for *their* favorite DVCS.

> subversion is a mild upgrade to cvs, whereas git is a revolutionary
> upgrade to cvs.

(…)
> america, and while it
> took a little getting used to, now i can't imagine going back.

For SVN users, the switch to Mercurial (hg) is an easy step, almost no
new commands, just some added commands to support the distributed
development. And merging releases works pretty well (compared to SVN
(+SVK)).

--
Heiko