Re: [exim] Spamd Timeout

Author: Greg
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Spamd Timeout
Jethro R Binks a écrit :
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Greg wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, perhaps, it appears so, in spam.h:
>
> /* timeout for reading and writing spamd */
> #define SPAMD_TIMEOUT 120
>
> I had recently noticed something similar for with the malware scanners
> too, in malware.h:
>
> #define        MALWARE_TIMEOUT             120

> Some flexibility here would indeed be handy.

Agreed, my Exim is installed from a debian package and I have no
intention to recompile it. Perhaps I don't even have enough knowledge to
do that properly.

> However, to address your actual problem, if your server is not heavily
> loaded, there is probably a good reason for the scan taking so long.
> If it happens very often, maybe you are suffering from DNS timeout
> issues or suchlike? Sometimes messages can be badly formed in a way
> that SpamAssassin doesn't like them (although I do not use the spamd
> interface directly from Exim in my environment). If you are doing
> image processing, then that can be resource-intensive.

You are right, but this happens twice a month and I couldn't find how to
freeze the message to reproduce the problem and find out why it take so
much time to analyze these messages.
> If you increase the timeout so you have exims hanging around for
> longer waiting for spamd, you have to consider if your mail server is
> going to be able to keep up, or is mail just going to start backing up?

Increasing the timeout to 5 minutes should be ok I guess.

PS: sorry Jethro, I replied to you instead of the mailing list.