Re: [exim] conditional compound rewriting

Author: Paul Rogers
To: exim-users
CC: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [exim] conditional compound rewriting
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:04:18 -0800, "Phil Pennock" <exim-
users@???> said:
> *blink* Bear in mind I can't test any responses to be sure I remember
> the details. It's been too many years since I admin'd an Exim 3 box
> to be sure.

That's OK, although it seems like I have a fiddly syntax problem, that
may just be a symptom of taking a whole wrong approach to the ISP relay
problem. Thanks for considering it. Most ignore such requests.

So let's clarify whether I'm trying to write a doomed rule. Just the
lookup part will rewrite the headers/addresses and relay messages
through my ISP. But EVERYTHING ends up going there, like bounce
messages. What I'm trying to do now is "if the recipient is 'offsite'
then rewrite the headers & envelope, else fail" so local messages don't
get redirected. I know there's an unparsed string $recipient, which
could be a list and hard to parse in a rewrite rule. I'm trying to find
some other way, but it seems the rewrite rules, at least in 3.2,
consider recipient and sender addresses as virtually unrelated from a
rewriting perspective.

Should I take what I've got and live with it? Or do I just need a
different strategy?
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers@???